Saturday, July 10, 2010

Star Spangled War Stories #183: Unknown Soldier in "8,000 to One"


Download Star Spangled War Stories #183





"Remember, soldier, one slip-up and 8,000 innocent people... will die!"

I recall purchasing this comic book when I was a kid because I found the Joe Kubert cover very intriguing, but I came away from the experience genuinely moved by the story inside. In "8,000 to One," the Unknown Soldier is forced to choose killing a collaborator or permit 8,000 others to perish. The final scenes are very dramatic and worth the read to get there. While the Unknown Soldier was created by Robert Kanigher and Joe Kubert and first appeared in Our Army At War #168, this story was written by David Michelinie and illustrated by Gerry Talaoc.

The back-up story features the Balloon Buster, whose real name is Steve Savage, Jr. Born and raised in Mustang River, Wyoming, Savage was trained by his poverty-stricken father to be a consummate marksman, learning that the gun is merely an extension of the man who wields it.

Enlisting in the Army Air Corps at the onset of World War I, Savage repeatedly disobeyed orders, breaking formation to attack and destroy the German combat balloons, which earned him his nickname.

















"Hell's Angel! Featuring Enemy Ace and the Balloon Buster, Part III: To End in Flames!" is an Enemy Ace back-up story, which was written by Robert Kanigher and illustrated by Frank Thorne.







3 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

OW: Great minds (or great comic book fans) think alike, my friend! I was just about to post some Talaoc myself over at my war blog. I think Gerry Talaoc one of the great unsung masters of war comics, and it's a real pleasure to see you post his stuff here. Excellent taste, pal! Well done.

PS: It's all about sharing great comics, and this blog always has such great stuff! I have a bunch more Talaoc in the hopper!

The Old Warrior said...

Hi Mykal,

Please don't let anything I post inhibit you from posting anything over on any of your blogs and I couldn't agree with you more. I am definitely not in competition with you or anyone else and, if you haven't done so already, I look forward to your uploading more Talaoc stuff. I took a few days off from the Internet and I want to make my way over to your blogs soon ;-]

Thanks so much for the kind words, my friend, and I always look forward to your opinions!

Mykal Banta said...

OW: I never worry much about double posting, either. To me it just means more folks have the chance to see great comics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...