Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tomb of Darkness #19: "It's Only Magic!"


Download Tomb of Darkness #19





I can still recall picking this comic book up off the racks in Rexal's Drug Store, just to reminisce out loud for a moment. Tomb of Darkness #19 contains this excellent short story written by Stan "The Man" Lee and beautifully illustrated by John Buscema, which is about a boy who's seeking wealth and power via supernatural means. In his haste for shortcuts to fame and fortune, the boy sneaks into an occult bookstore and pockets a book on ancient Druid spells in order to conjure a djinn to do his bidding. Of course, events don't go as the boy had planned and I thought the ending was pretty damn clever, which is why I heartily recommend this one. It's only too bad that I can't make the same recommendation for the rest of the stories contained inside this comic book, but this particular story is a great read.


Credits

Cover: Ron Wilson
Script: Stan Lee
Pencils: John Buscema
Inks: John Verpoorten

Reprinted:
  • from Chamber of Darkness (Marvel, 1969 series) #1 (October 1969).









3 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

Rexall's was where my comic book spinner rack was located too! Look over this story reminds me for the umpteenth time: What would Marvel have been without Buscema?

Joplin John said...

Hey, Old Warrior! I just wanted to let you know that I _just_ discovered your blog, and it's fantastic! I hope you're able to keep it going!

The Old Warrior said...

Hi, Joplin John! I know that I have the occasional online interruptions, but blogging my favorite comic book stories from yesteryear are just plain fun and you bet I am keepin' on ;-]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...